-- Update --
Following the measures approved by the Council of Ministers effective from July 1st, which contemplate the civic duty of home confinement for residents in the 19 parishes concerned in the Lisbon Metropolitan Area, residents in these parishes should only leave their homes for essential activities such as travelling to work, grocery shopping, sports activities and support for family members.
Therefore, all members of Jamat who reside in these parishes are requested to fulfil this civic duty.
It is with immense joy and happiness that we announce the reopening of the Jamatkhanas of the Portuguese Jurisdiction, subject to meeting of all the compliance measures recommended by the health authorities, namely the Direção-Geral da Saúde (DGS).
Therefore, the Jamatkhanas of Porto, Setúbal, Faro, Portimão and Málaga, will be open at their usual times, starting today, Friday, June 26th. The Darkhana Jamatkhana of Lisbon and Jamatkhanas in Seixal, Oeiras and Lobito will be reopen next Monday, June 29th.
The COVID-19 pandemic requires that we all take a number of precautions in our day-to-day lives, to better protect ourselves and of those around us.
With the imminent reopening of the Jamatkhanas, we wish to inform the Jamat of the following measures that will be adopted to guarantee the safety of all:
- In order to fulfill the necessary distance requirements, the maximum capacity of the Prayer Halls have been adjusted, with alternative spaces created in the Ismaili Centre and in the Jamatkhana of Seixal, where the volunteers will direct the members of the Jamat.
- All common areas of Jamatkhana will be disinfected on a daily basis, after religious ceremonies, including all sofas, benches and chairs.
- The body temperature of each person will be measured at the main entrance before entering the Jamatkhana building and, in the case of The Ismaili Centre, this procedure will also be carried out in the garage.
- All spaces will be properly marked with a physical distance of 2 meters in all directions.
- We further wish to inform the Jamat that the water dispensers will not be accessible for use.
Simultaneously, the rules defined by the DGS will also be implemented and must be complied by the Jamat whose primary focus is to protect everyone:
- Access to Jamatkhana will only be possible with a facemask on, which should be maintained on your face at all times whilst in the Jamatkhana building. The only exception to this rule is children up to the age of 6 years, who must be accompanied by their parents at all times, and must further ensure that they do not circulate without their supervision.
- At the entrance of every Prayer Hall and social hall you will be required to have your hands disinfected with an alcohol-based disinfectant solution, which will be applied by the volunteers. The disinfectant solution will be available in several places, so you can disinfect your hands whenever you consider it necessary. Furthermore, you must disinfect your hands at least twice: first upon entering and then again upon exiting the hall you are in -- be it the Prayer Hall or one of the social halls.
- If you plan to attend Jamatkhana, please ensure you give yourselves sufficient time to sanitize your hands and have your temperature taken.
- Please do not bring unnecessary personal items (bags, coats, backpacks, bags, etc.). Note: The cloakroom will not be operational.
- We humbly and respectfully ask that IF any member of Jamat feels unwell with a body temperature above normal (> 38º) or with symptoms of COVID-19 - fever, cough, tiredness, difficulty breathing, or muscle pain – PLEASE contact the health authorities and stay at home.
- If you have been in contact with anyone infected or are suspected of being infected, in order to ensure the safety of the entire Jamat, we kindly request that you PLEASE stay home for 14 days after contact.
- In accordance with the recommendations of the DGS, we also respectfully ask ALL members of Jamat who belong to high risk groups, namely those over 65 or those with serious and compromised health problems, should consider coming to Jamatkhana on less busy hence quieter days.
- Only marked spaces should be used. We ask all members of the Jamat to only use the chairs if they are unable to sit on the floor.
- After being seated in a designated space or chair, you should NOT change places, as these are cleaned everyday after being used during religious ceremonies.
- Children up to the age of 12 must be seated with their parents at all times and we ask for your cooperation to permanently monitor your children, so that they DO NOT circulate without supervision.
- We kindly request all members of the Jamat to respect ALL the instructions given by the volunteers.
- At the conclusion of the religious ceremonies, we ask for the Jamats’ discipline, cooperation and respect to avoid crowds and that the minimum recommended physical distance of 2 meters is maintained at all times.
We further wish to inform the Jamat that the doors of the Jamatkhanas will open at 6:30pm and will close 10 minutes after the end of the religious ceremonies.
Further details on the measures and rules that the Jamat must follow will be shared before, during and after the religious ceremonies.
We remind the Jamat that the adoption and adherence of the above behaviors is very crucial and important in order for us to be able to maintain and keep the Jamatkhanas open. In addition, complying with these recommendations is critical in order to avoid ANY risk to the health and safety of all members of the Jamat. The Institutions are monitoring the development of the pandemic on a daily basis and, if the circumstances change, new measures may have to be undertaken.
We count on the cooperation of Jamat.