Reporting to the President, and Vice-President of the National Council as well as ITREB Chairman, the EO will take the responsibility for developing, maintaining and managing an efficient and effective joint Council and ITREB secretariat to support the following functions and responsibilities.
1. Administration & Support: Responsible and accountable to the National Council, through the President and the Vice-President and ITREB Chairman, for the planning, organization, management, implementation, control, and administration of the Council’s operations in keeping with direction from the Department of Jamati Institutions (DJI). Accountable to the President and Vice-President, for all operations and programs under the National Council for Mozambique.
Performance monitoring: Monitor performance of all activities governed by the National Council and ITREB to ensure activities are on schedule and within approved budget. Appraise the National Council and ITREB Executive of all such activities, including any variances, and follow-up on feedback to ensure performance is on track as planned. Provide to the President and Vice-President and ITREB Chairman of corrective actions to be taken to ensure activities are within the set objectives and strategies.Human Resource Management: Responsible for management of professional and administrative personnel of the National Council and ITREB, in accordance with authorized policies and procedures.
2. Finance: Oversee the annual budget process. Managing financial resources within the budgetary guidelines and in accordance with current laws and regulations.
3. Financial, Tax, Risk and Facilities Management: Ensuring that the National Council and ITREB fullfils its constitutional, regulatory and legal obligations, while taking appropriate steps to identify and mitigate potential areas of risk to protect the Jamati Institutions.
4. Fundraising: Contribute to fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, establishing strategies, submitting proposals and administering fundraising records and documentation.
5. Institutional collaboration: Facilitate communications and collaboration with and among all Jamati Institutions and AKDN institutions to address the needs of the collective institutions and the goals of the Institutions. Establish liaison and good rapport with NCAB and GRB and ensure that all their requirements are duly complied with by ITREB, Council and its sub institutions.
6. Community and Public Relations: Contribute on strategic policy issues, Jamati needs, Jamati perceptions, while exercising such executive functions and authorities as may be delegated by Executive from time to time. Ensure the Council and its affiliated institutions’ mission and services are consistently presented in a positive image to relevant stakeholders.
1. Short- and Long-Term Planning, Programming, and Budgeting:
a. Manage the transition process towards National Council (NC) by implementing set strategic plans, reviewing and executing the predefined requisites required for a NC.
b. Coordinate preparation of the annual objectives and strategies (O&S) of the Council and ITREB, together with the budgets consistent with the ten-year strategic plans and ensure their implementation, monitoring, and reporting.
c. Analyze and consolidate the budgets of the Council and ITREB for submission to GRB, ensuring the implementation and monitoring of such O&S and budgets.
d. Prepare, monitor, and coordinate, through appropriate channels, all major programs, projects, and activities of Council and ITREB as outlined below and proactive in monitoring performance and following up, recommending corrective actions.
- Council in the areas of social governance, Jamatkhana development, and institutional strengthening (incl. Regional Committees training, oversight, and support).
- ITREB in the areas of religious education and training
e. Consolidate Regional Committee (RC) structures, which implies regular visits to provinces to assist the RCs in reinforcing their roles and responsibilities and implementing financial and programmatic management systems.
f. Ensure that all legal and statutory requirements of the Council are duly fulfilled and complied with, and identify and mitigate risks facing the Jamat and institutions.
2. Financial Resource Management Oversight:
a. Maintain financial control and discipline over the Council, ITREB and Regional Committees, including all expenditures and funding for programmatic, operating, and capital investments.
b. Control all fixed assets of the Council and ITREB ensuring their regular maintenance.
c. Coordinate and manage all fundraising activities.
d. Support regular rigorous analysis of the financial status of all programmatic, operating, and capital investments.
3. Human Resource Management:
a. Consolidate the Shared Executive Back Office (SEBO) structure through implementation of revised staff roles and responsibilities (incl. needs for provinces as per requirements and needs)
b. Exercise general supervision over all staff and address all aspects of human resource development including matters of compensation and benefits.
c. Support with recruitment, training, development, evaluation, promotion, and dismissal for the staff.
d. Advise on the deployment of staff at Secretariat so that the programs are conducted effectively and efficiently through established policies and procedures.
e. Conduct periodic staff meetings to improve institutional effectiveness and efficiency.
4. Information Resource Management:
a. Collaborate with the Council and ITREB on the short and long-term management information and reporting needs in social governance, Jamatkhana development, institutional strengthening (Council), religious education and training (ITREB).
b. Manage data security and IT infrastructure, maintenance, communications and asset acquisition (hardware and software).
c. Manage and analyze information across institutions and programs to be able to help the Institutions formulate strategies and policies.
5. Jamatkhana Planning, Development, and Management:
a. Coordinate the planning and development, including fundraising, of Jamatkhana projects over the short- and long-term.
b. Monitor the development and financial aspects of Jamatkhana projects under implementation, as well as review of post completion reports.
c. Maintain up-to-date records for all leasehold and freehold Jamatkhanas and monitor expiration of leases. Ensure all properties are in compliance with local laws.
6. General Management and Administration:
a. Assist the President, Vice-President and ITREB Chairman in ensuring smooth and efficient operation of all the functions of the Institutions.
b. Undertake such other duties and responsibilities as may be required by the President, Vice-President and ITREB Chairman from time to time.
c. Travel across the Jurisdiction from time to time to monitor various projects being implemented.
d. Ensure confidentiality of sensitive matters relating to its operations and safeguard all documents, files and records.
e. Serve as the point of reference for the continuity of the Council’s work. Coordinate the transition process from one leadership team to the next.
f. Develop management and operations policies and procedures of various functions, activities, and programs.
g. Execute all the decisions made and ensure implementation of established policies.
h. Plan and coordinate institutional meetings, proposing agendas reflecting issues, opportunities and priorities; maintain appropriate records of all meetings (incl. work groups) and following-up on open items.
i. Ensure that the programs and activities are directed to the achievement of approved objectives and within the Ismaili Constitution.
j. Facilitate collaboration with all Jamati and AKDN institutions to address their collective needs and goals.
k. Work closely with Jamati institutions worldwide and Apex institutions within the Aga Khan Development Network, as required.
l. Prepare such technical papers, proposals, and reports as per institutional needs.
Professional Experience: Progressively responsible management experience, of at least 5-10 years in a large/medium size organization, preferably in corporate and/or non-profit environment. Jamati institutional and volunteer experience would be a significant asset.
Technical Skills: Proven track record as a people manager in a complex organization or in an institutional environment, with ability to assist in managing multiple stake holders. Successful track record in management of capital projects; arranging preparation and managing annual audits. Strong problem solving, communication, organizational and analytical skills. Proven ability to effectively manage multiple responsibilities, as well as to collaborate closely with teams of professionals, volunteers. Ability to liaise with Jamati and Imamat Institutions (within and outside the Jurisdiction) as well as with external corporate, government, community, and academic organizations. Demonstrated capability to carry out Finance, HR and/or Risk Management processes which command internal and external support and have led to development of strategy, policy and decision-making.
Academic Credentials: Bachelor's degree from a recognized international university, preferably in management. Master's degree would be preferable.
Language Proficiency: Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong oral presentation skills in Portuguese and English. Gujrati and/or Urdu are valued assets.
Disposition: Candidate should be personally committed to the substance of the Institutions’ mission and values, and the ethics it reflects; awareness of Jamati institutional processes, including the understanding of working within the voluntary leadership; must have a strong desire to make substantial contribution to the progress of the Jamat and its institutions. Candidate should have the ability to deal with confidential matters discreetly, approach executive responsibilities with the highest degree of personal and professional integrity, empathy and sensitivity.
Working hours: Candidate will be required to have a flexible schedule, including frequently working evenings and weekends.
The position is based in Maputo, Mozambique.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application (CV and Cover Letter) by March 6th, 2020 via email: [email protected]