Global Encounters Kenya
Our Kenya camp is the first of the Global Encounters programmes. The programme is based at the Aga Khan Academy Mombasa, the first Academy established globally in the network of international schools. Mombasa is a vibrant Swahili town nestled on the extraordinary East African coast. Service projects, identified in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, support children and schools in nearby communities. Academy educators and local artists lead workshops in drumming and dance, theater, Swahili cuisine, and visual arts.
Students spend time in Nairobi visiting flagship AKDN projects, which include - among others - an inside look at companies supported by the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED), visits to the Aga Khan University and Aga Khan University Hospital, and opportunities to see work across sectors in education, health, banking, and urban development. The programme also includes a two-day Safari in one of Kenya's extraordinary national parks, local excursions, and recreational time at the beautiful, pristine beaches on the Mombasa Coast.
For those that participate in the Global Encounters: Expedition programme will get a chance to celebrate New Year's with the Kenyan Jamat.
- Welcome & settling into our home away from home
- Community building and orientation activities
- Core Classes begin in ethics, faith, and leadership
- Service Learning Project Planning
- Socials with local Jamati youth
- Excursions to the beach and old town Mombasa
- Service Learning Project Implementation
- Core Classes in ethics, faith, and leadership
- Arts and culture workshops - visual and performing arts, dance, cooking and cuisine, music
Weeks Three and Four:
- Safari Excursion in one of Kenya's beautiful wildlife parks
- Rock-climbing and water canyoning adventure in the Rift Valley
- Visits to AKDN projects in Nairobi
- Service Leadership Summit and Closing
A Typical Day
The Global Encounters schedule varies from day to day.
The following schedule is an example of typical service day:
|6:30 AM||Wake, Wash & Ready for Day|
|7:00 AM||Morning Prayers|
|8:15 AM||Core Classes|
|10:15 AM||Service Learning Projects|
|3:00 PM||Transition and Break|
|3:30 PM||Sports, Swimming & Workshops|
|4:30 PM||Free Time, Rest & Shower|
|6:30 PM||Evening Prayers|
|8:00 PM||Evening Programme or Workshops|
|9:30 PM||Night Snack, Relax, Reflection|
|10:30 PM||Lights Out|