Global Encounters India
Global Encounters India is based at the Aga Khan Academy in Hyderabad, the largest campus of the flagship international academies with lush grounds, state-of-the-art facilities, beautiful sports fields, and two swimming pools.
Core Classes, workshops, and sports take place on campus. Service projects are organized in collaboration with the Academy's stellar educators and local communities in nearby villages and schools. The India programme draws inspiration from the rich, vibrant, and diverse cultures and faiths in the country. Students have opportunities to experience local life and culture through interactions with local youth, hands-on workshops, delicious cuisine, and local excursions.
For those who participate in the Global Encounters Expedition programme, participants will have a unique opportunity to travel to Gujarat to engage with rural communities and engage with the projects of the Aga Khan Rural Support Programme (AKRSP).
What distinguishes this camp from the other Global Encounters offerings is a unique partnership with the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (AKTC) in India. Students spend several days in Delhi with AKTC, where they take part in tours and discussions with conservation architects at Humayun's Tomb, see the power of culture as a tool for development in the Nizamuddin Basti, and explore the arts through workshops with skilled artisans and artists.
The India programme also includes opportunities to meet local youth and Jamati leadership and to learn about the work of the institutions in education, poverty alleviation, health, and habitat. Excursions vary and may include: walking tours of old Delhi and Hyderabad, hiking, bouldering, rock climbing, a visit to the Taj Mahal, live concerts, and watching Bollywood films. Music, dance, and celebration are regular hallmarks throughout the programme.
Sample Weekly Schedule:
- Welcome & settling into our home away from home
- Community building and orientation
- Core classes in Ethics, Faith, and Leadership
- Service Learning Project Planning
- Exploration of Jamati institutions and alliances supported by Jamati institutions
- Service Learning Project Implementation
- Core classes in ethics, faith and leadership
- Arts and Culture workshops: visual and performing arts, traditional dance, cooking/cuisine, and tabla
- Local excursion to the Qutb Shahi Tombs and Hyderabad City
Weeks Three and Four:
- Visits to AKTC projects in Delhi, including site visits to Humayun's Tomb, Sundar Nursery, and the Nizamudin Basti
- Weekend excursion to the Taj Mahal in Agra
- Service Leadership Summit and Closing
Sample Daily Schedule:
The Global Encounters schedule varies from day to day.
The following schedule is an example of a service day:
|6:30 AM||Wake, Wash & Ready for Day|
|7:00 AM||Morning Prayers|
|8:15 AM||Core Classes|
|10:15 AM||Service Learning Projects|
|3:00 PM||Transition and Break|
|3:30 PM||Sports, Swimming and Workshops|
|4:30 PM||Free Time, Rest and Shower|
|6:30 PM||Evening Prayers|
|8:00 PM||Evening Programme or Workshop|
|9:30 PM||Night Snack|
|10:30 PM||Lights Out|