Global Encounters gives students the unique opportunity to experience lived pluralism while staying at flagship educational institutions, including the Aga Khan Academies and The Aga Khan University.
During the programme, students:
- cultivate lifelong friendships with brothers and sisters from around the world;
- lead projects and volunteer in local schools and communities;
- gain a deep understanding of development;
- experience the AKDN's work in action;
- broaden their perspectives in thought-provoking and challenging courses;
- explore arts and culture;
- visit world heritage sites; and
- discover what it means to be a global citizen.
Global Encounters offers multiple programmes each year. We currenlty have camps located in Kenya, India, and Pakistan. Global Encounters programmes are typlically held in June, July, and August (25 days) and Global Encounters: Expedition programmes are held in December and January (17 days). The programme is open to:
- Intellectually curious and civic-minded young people who demonstrate leadership, strive for excellence, and have a commitment to serve their communities and countries;
- Ismaili Muslim youth between the ages of 15 and 17 years by 1 June of the programme year;
- Students who have completed at least one year of secondary school, and who will still be enrolled in secondary school upon returning from Global Encounters;
- Students who understand and speak English proficiently.
Due to the pandemic, we will not host in-person Global Encounters camps in 2021. More infomration on future programming can be found on our Global Encounters Update from 23 June 2020.