The objectives of the programme are centred around service learning, cultural exchange, global citizenship, and leadership development. These are achieved by providing students the opportunity to carry out community service projects in partnership with schools and local communities.
The programme aims to foster a sense of responsibility in Ismaili youth by providing them with experiential opportunities to understand the complexities of development and learn from best practice in the field. The hope is that students will take the skills and values they learn abroad and apply them in their home countries.
- In addition to its emphasis on service and leadership, the programme gives students an opportunity to become global citizens and exercise a very central value for Ismaili Muslims — the notion of pluralism. Students foster meaningful relationships with Ismaili youth around the world and overall, broaden their perspectives through thought-provoking activities, all the while gaining cultural awareness.
- The programme is open to participants who are:
- Intellectually curious and civic-minded young people who demonstrate leadership, strive for excellence, and have a commitment to serve their communities and countries
- Ismaili Muslim youth between the ages of 15 and 17 years by 1st June of the year of the camp
- Students who have completed at least one year of secondary school, and who will still be enrolled in secondary school during the camp academic year
- Students who understand and speak English proficiently
We also welcome facilitators who are:
• Preferably 25 years and older with a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognised university and minimum of 3+ years working experience preferred
• Passion for youth development and volunteering with youth within or outside the Jamati context, and ability to be a big brother / big sister, mentor, and serve as a role model with positive values
• Flexibility, strong communication, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills
• Ability and experience working on a team with peers with diverse skills and backgrounds
• Experience in art, music, sports, theatre, photography, media arts, technology, social entrepreneurship, etc.
• An understanding of international development
Watch this space for further information regarding the next camp, or visit akysb.iiuk.org/summercamps