Global Encounters gives students the unique opportunity to experience lived pluralism while staying at flagship educational institutions, including the Aga Khan Academies and The Aga Khan University.
During the programme, students:
- cultivate lifelong friendships with brothers and sisters from around the world;
- lead projects and volunteer in local schools and communities;
- gain a deep understanding of development;
- experience the AKDN's work in action;
- broaden their perspectives in thought-provoking and challenging courses;
- explore arts and culture;
- visit world heritage sites; and
- discover what it means to be a global citizen.
In 2019 there will be three Global Encounters camps - one in Kenya, one in India, and one in Pakistan. All three programmes will have start dates in mid-July. The programme is open to:
- Intellectually curious and civic-minded young people who demonstrate leadership, strive for excellence, and have a commitment to serve their communities and countries;
- Ismaili Muslim youth between the ages of 15 and 17 years by 1 June 2019.
- Students who have completed at least one year of secondary school, and who will still be enrolled in secondary school during the 2019 - 2020 academic year;
- Students who understand and speak English proficiently.