The tomatoes in this salad are a star, not just for their taste and colour, but also because of their health benefits. Did you know eating tomatoes may help lower your risk of stroke, thanks to their lycopene content? Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that helps to fight free radical damage in your body.
1 pita bread
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
3 large tomatoes, cubed
1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
3 sticks celery, sliced
32 g (½ cup) parsley, finely chopped
16 g (¼ cup) fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
⅛ tbsp salt
⅛ tbsp black pepper
⅛ tbsp sumac
What does this chart mean?
- Saturated fat0.7g
- Trans fat0.0g
- Sugars (Total)5.0g
- Vitamin A116.2RAE
- Vitamin C58.8mg
- Vitamin D0.0mcg
- Vitamin B120.0mcg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4.
- Tear the pita into small pieces and place on to a baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetables and herbs.
- Make the dressing by putting the ingredients in a small bottle, close the top and shake to mix well.
- Pour over the salad, mix and chill for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the pita bread pieces prior to serving.